Old July 28th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default grosse scheidegg/swiss bike route #4 questions

Thanks for the info about Gross Scheidegg -- I've been thinking of wanting
to ride that.

Roberto Divia wrote
Do not take the bike paths: they make very long, unnecessary detours and
are often unpaved.

I was very surprised when I included a bike path in a route last year in the
Engadin. At first it was smoothly paved and gentle. Then suddenly the
pavement ended and there were lots of steep ups and downs on dirt -- and the
dirt section was much much longer than the paved section. I was very glad
when I reached the end and I got back to riding on the main road.

Before that I had wondered why I was seeing so many people in Switzerland
riding on mountain bikes.

Vincent wrote:
Advice on ... sights not to be missed?

Not to be missed are the "sights" you make up for yourself. Leave time to
ride to some villages not in the guidebook that you never heard of before.

Ken