Old October 8th 10, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Default OT, but interesting, bit about the US and a cyclist killing a jogger.

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
weird ways of the USA , comments are interesting too

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24136/cyclist-kills-runner

"Huddleston was hit Thursday evening, apparently when she abruptly
turned into a cyclist’s path in a section of the trail near Routh
Street. She was wearing headphones and may not have heard the bicycle
approaching, police said.

She was taken to the hospital with critical head injuries."

I'm surprised you didn't suggest that if she had worn a helmet it
would have saved her life.

Tony

I now understand that there is an embargo on mentioning anything which
may
save injury/death, such as obeying the highway code, observing traffic

directions, wearing protective equipment, using lights at night,
avoiding A
roads with a small child in tow, using one way streets the correct
way,
undertaking large vehicles at junctions, giving pedestrians on
crossings
precendence, having working brakes etc. etc. Basically anything
that
might make cycling safer or more popular is to be pooh-poohed.

My apologies, I had forgotten you were the self appointed group
moderator.

In deference to that I won't therefore mention the major risk of
injury/death to cyclist viz. badly driven motor vehicles because I know
you will only allow the mention of trivial ones.

--
Tony