Old September 30th 18, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default Build it and they will come?

jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 8:22:13 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
"Build it and they will come!"

Um... Hey, wait a minute, where did they go???

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...sus-data-show/

Without getting into the need for or desirability of bicycle facilities,
it would be interesting to find out why the number of commuter cyclists
dropped in Seattle. It may be things like scooters and Uber/Lyft. Better
mass transit? Bad weather? The notion that all the construction made it
difficult for cyclists usually works the opposite way. You're better off
on a bike when the roads are choked because of construction. A lot of
construction around here, though, has been of the separated facilities
themselves -- which may have driven down numbers since some percentage
doesn't want to ride on the parallel road.

-- Jay Beattie.

It does also need a culture shift, I commute from south of Heathrow to
north of it, south has a fair bit of cycle traffic around the fairly well
heeled suburbs, which I link up various parks but once north I have a
segregated bike path, which is completely deserted generally, it’s
something of note if I see another bike, plenty of traffic a few meters
away so the route is used. Just not by bikes or by foot, for most part.

Roger Merriman