Old July 5th 17, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Handlebar rotation

On 2017-07-05 08:25, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:08:01 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

It can take a long time to notice adverse health effects. For
example, computer mice were not very ergonomical until 10-15 years
ago. And they still sell the old style. Probably the industry
didn't react until enough people developed hardcore carpal tunnel
problems.

On B52's the Bomb/Nav system would set the cross-hairs on the target
with a "joy stick" which was shaped as the name would imply. You
could set the cross hairs on the target and hold them there and the
bombing computer would automatically compensate for wind and the
effects it was having on the aircraft.

When I designed a robotic chemical placement mechanism with a
computer interface I designed a joystick into it. The mechanical
engineer constructed this as a light weight plastic structure.

The end result was that you had to hold the base of the joystick in
one hand while setting the cross-hairs on each vial to be moved from
point A to point B.

This was pretty clumsy so Dr. Michael McCown removed the top of the
mechanism so that the gears that moved the variable resisters were
showing. He tipped this upside down and would use it just like a
mouse.

That's a smart way to "fix" the design. I'd probably have screwed or
glued it down to some thick steel plate, something I have done to a lot
of things that I didn't want to slide about. The "feet" were usually
bicycle tube snippets.

At this time there were no mice. Not a long time after than mice
showed up on the scene. I don't know if it was my and Dr. McCown's
cooperation improved or if someone else came up with that
independently but I do know that Dr. McCown most certainly was the
first to be using a mouse-like mechanism.

Was it before 1964?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/te...ies-at-88.html

--
Regards, Joerg