Old June 27th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Great Trial of Strength

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

The regular racing scene in Norway is not that well developed, so
lots of quite fit people participate in these events. People who in
other countries might do more regular racing. So in Norway the level
of the fastest times is quite high. For example this year the Mjøsa
Rundt 235km (146mi) race winners had an average speed of 44km/h
(27.3mph) despite heavy headwinds for last 100km.

That is an extremely impressive time for that distance, very nearly a
UCI pro level of performance.

A friend of mine rode with them and said they had an average of 47 for
the first 110km until the wind picked up. The lead finishing group of
21 riders had only 2 under 30 years old, and had 7 between 40 and 49. I
don't have a profile for the course, but I do know that while it is not
a mountainous course, it is certainly not flat.

On rides like these when normal people like me can by chance start in
the same group and try to hang on, we really suffer. But boy is it fun
to get towed along for a few km before it all becomes too much.

Joseph