Old June 28th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Great Trial of Strength

David Dermott wrote:
On 27 Jun 2006 wrote:

I don't have a profile for the course, but I do know that while it is not
a mountainous course, it is certainly not flat.

In case anyone is interested, there is a profile of
Den Store Styrkeprøven (The Great Trial of Strength) at:
http://www.styrkeproven.no/styrk2003...rofil_en.shtml
(over 4000 m of climbing in 540 km)

When I said I did not have a profile, I was referring to the Mjøsa
Rundt ride:
http://www.feiringil.no/gruppene/syk...ndt%202006.htm
Portions of Mjøsa Rundt are on the same course as DSS, but in general
Mjøsa Rundt has a tougher course. It is often used as a "dress
rehearsal" for DSS teams.

The profile for DSS (local shorthand for the Trondheim-Oslo ride) is
somewhat misleading. It is essentially flat with a few long-ish steady
climbs. Toward the end it gets a bit rolling with some steeper shorter
hills. Since it is on the main road (what passes for a highway in
Norway) between Trondheim and Oslo, it is a well graded road with no
sections steeper than say 4% for any length of time. I am not a good
climber and even for me and my 225lbs I only needed my 39x25 a handful
of times, mostly at the end when I was fried. I think I used my 53 the
whole first 300km or so. If you look at the split times on the results
page you'll see the average speeds are pretty constant. Here's a guy I
ride with (he's 45):

http://results.ultimate.dk/live/fron...&l=no&Pid=1201

And here's one of the guys in the lead group:

http://results.ultimate.dk/live/fron...w&l=no&Pid=310

If you check the speeds while looking at the course profile, you'll see
the speeds aren't too affected by the ascent. Wind is a much bigger
factor.

Also Jørn has good descriptions of the course he
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Cy...gtos_info.html

Those reports are fun to read. Here's my report from my first time in
'96:

http://tinyurl.com/kendb

A lot less suffering this time!

Joseph