Old April 3rd 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

On 4/3/21 8:36 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 3:51:03 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
This is my MTB in fairly clean condition:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG
--
Regards, Joerg

Is that rear rack homemade? Guessing rack mounts do not work on a fully
suspended mountain bikes with the rack attaching below the seatpost and
at the rear dropouts.

The black rear rack looks to be an off the shelf part, but the aluminum
bracket below holding Joerg’s battery pack does look to be a custom job.

The black rack is a boom type and it began to buckle on rough rides. So
I built the back out to be more like it is on a motorcycle. That
required the manufacturing of a fairly precise thick bracket but luckily
one of my riding buddies was a machinist before he retired. So he made
that. The aluminum channel acts as a fender at the same time.

The bike also got the longest quality seat post I could find, for extra
rear-end sturdiness. That stopped the frame creaking on gnarly trails.
The downside is that the seat height can no longer be easily adjusted
for other riders. The upside is that this rear-end is now so tough that
you could almost sit on it (and on very steep descents I do).

Before I started homebrewing I regularly transported growlers in the
panniers via singletrack. You just had to make sure they are
offroad-safe (stainless steel) and be careful opening them afterwards
(KABOOM).

The top trunk can be removed and below it is a homemade loading platform
to which boxes and stuff can be strapped. I have transported heavy
client gear and packages on that. The longer route to the next Fedex
office is more fun because most of it is singletrack. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuKwBGT6am8

When I need stuff from Home Depot I sometimes use the MTB because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44zqIKf2T_I

Life is good!

--
Regards, Joerg