Old July 15th 12, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Wes Groleau

Default Bicycles and the Law

On 07-15-2012 00:10, wrote:
Around here whereas riders tend to ride somewhat differently when a cop is around it isn't much different than described.

Around here, riders ignore cops because cops ignore them. For the same
reason, they ignore stop signs, traffic signals,
one-way signs, and common sense.

I have to wonder where the rest of the posters here have ridden and how they've ridden. For instance, I suppose you can buy a cheap set of tires but when you are doing rides of 70 miles with 3,000 ft plus of vertical climbing and descending at 45+ mph you don't ride cheap tires with poor traction or possible blow-out material.
By the way - before my head injury I was putting in 10,000 miles a year for the three years previous to my injury. And not that much different for the preceeding 20 years. I'm a real cyclist and do everything from riding up to the store on my grocery/touring bicycle to cyclocross riding to mountain biking to road cycling and riding long distances on dirt roads on a road bike without any problems. So I think I've seen a few other riders in my time.

I do fewer than 500 miles per month since I got started again two years
ago. Did have one blow-out, probably a defective tire. Tires that came
with the bike lasted 25,000 miles. That's three years of twenty miles a
day, twenty years of almost no riding, then two years totaling
three thousand miles.

But I don't see many other riders. Every time out, at least one, but
never a large group.

--
Wes Groleau

“Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
feel smug about. Why should I disillusion them?”
— Charles Wallace
(in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)