Old November 9th 17, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-04 19:07, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

... I strongly suspect that if he had to schlep
heavy equipment on rough terrain, he'd have built wheels that were up to
the task. He certainly wouldn't have used wheels intended for light
duty, then whined about how bad bicycle technology was. Jobst wasn't
much of a whiner.

AFAICT he was giving straightdope when he was peeved about something a
manufacturer did wrong. So am I.

It now sounds like you're complaining about a wheel built by a custom shop,
based on the description you gave of your riding conditions. Your complaint
should not be against the bicycle industry in general. It should either be
against the custom shop that built your wheel, or against your own description
of your riding conditions. (I suspect the latter.)

Where have I complained about the wheel build by the custom shop? Or was
this another fake news story? :-)

This custom shop did a stellar job. I'd like to thank them after riding
this bike for decades but I don't have the invoice anymore and don't
remember the name, just that it was in the city of Aachen, Germany.

FWIW, I built new wheels for our touring bikes just before we set out to ride
4000 miles coast to coast. We carried full camping loads, and did at least
150 miles near the start of the ride, on the very rough C&O Canal Towpath.
Our wheels are _still_ straight, ten years later.

Well, you don't ride where I ride. I was that way since day one, when I
saw a "forest autobahn" that would provide a shortcut I took it.

Even my MTB rear wheel started a wobble after the first few hundred
miles, one that could no longer be tensioned out via the spoke nipples.
Comment from my LBS guy (a MTB competition rider): "That's kind of
normal if you ride a lot"

Just got the new 8-inch rotors from Jenson. Yeehaw! I need to find some
screws and then they'll go on front and back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/