Old August 8th 05, 05:50 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default durability of Mavic MA3s?

In article , says...

but jobst, according to competent professional wheel builders on this
group, many non-eyelet rims successfully resist cracking, and of the
mavic rims, the x517 & now x717 series [including disk-specific rims]
use only single eyelet with no apparent disadvantage. the only "design
weakness" of the ma3 is that it cannot tolerate "tension as high as the
rim will bear", but that's not a mavic problem. a quick call to
888-gomavic will reveal the manufacturer spoke tension spec and the
recommended application.

Why would mavic not include that information with every rim?

regarding the ma2, that rim has been shown to crack, its eyelets rust
[i'll post pics if proof is required] and its shallow profile is very
prone to flat spots. not too light either.

I've used these in the past with no problems. I never flat spotted the rim.

oh, and it doesn't have
machined brake tracks which mean that brakes cannot be fully efficient
until the brake pad has worn to fit the rim profile.

BS ad speak. Machined sidewalls are unecessary, and add cost to the rim.
That is probably why the MA-3 is inferrior to the MA-2. They spent the money
on unecessary machining instead of add sockets.

all in all, i
think it's time you moved on. there's nothing more to see with the ma2.

You have fall for the 'it's new so it must be better' line that advertisers
like to repeat. I get the impression mavic has little interest in selling
rims. They would actually prefer their rims to not do well so that you would
buy their pre-built wheels which sell for substantially more money.
Alex