Old November 16th 04, 09:12 PM
GaryG

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
news:Fptmd.40183$V41.12470@attbi_s52...
"GaryG" wrote

For mountain biking I use a helmet visor,

I use the same helmet for both. I think a visor is really a disavantage
off-road, since sunlight isn't a problem in the woods, and it blocks
overhead peripheral vision.

but for road riding I find they
either weigh too much, or catch too much wind, resulting in a sore neck

on
long rides.

You're pulling my leg, right?

Not at all. Unless I'm sitting pretty upright (like on a mountain bike or
cruiser), my neck muscles can feel the difference after a long day. The
weight of the visor is out in front, and it does catch wind (especially at
higher speeds). However, it's been a number of years since I tried a visor
on a road bike helmet - perhaps they've gotten lighter and/or more
aerodynamic since I last used one. It might also depend on your position on
the bike (I usually ride pretty low, even when on the hoods).

I assume I'm not the only one that feels this way...on typical tours and
century rides that I take part in, I doubt that one rider in 50 wears a
visor.

GG