Old June 6th 18, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Chain waxing

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:05:28 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

--
Tanguy

Seems to me chain cleaning and waxing is another sadomasochistic practice that cyclists without the imagination to do something more productive have brought on themselves. Socially, it's a leftover from when cycling was a workingman's sport, which has no place in an age when cycling is in the main middle-class virtue-signalling, and almost any bike the equivalent in quality of a between-wars Raleigh tourer costs an obscene amount of money.

A little, a very little thought will tell any cyclist that he can run the chain for its entire life on the factory lube, and in the process win a permanently clean bike.

All it takes is a hub gearbox (or a single speed of any flavor you fancy), a Hebie Chainglider or lesser chain enclosure, and a chain from a manufacturer who uses quality lube (KMC is good and cheap besides). Then you never again need to clean a chain or clusters or chainrings or anything else to which the chain has spread its filth.

Of course, if chain cleaning and waxing defines who you are, like going to church on Sundays, don't pay any attention to me; I wouldn't dream of criticizing your religion.

Andre Jute
The derailleur should be granted a religious significance by the Pope as an instrument of self-mortification
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home