Old February 4th 18, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Horst link bending forces

On 2018-02-04 09:41, jbeattie wrote:

If you are concerned, you need to buy a steel hard-tail fat bike --
or a full rigid steel fat bike.

I need full-suspension because of a lower back issue. I am hoping some
day there will be a Ti-frame for a 29er, or at least 27-1/2" suitable
for 3" tires. However, I am thankful that my current bikes are not
carbon fiber (the road bike is Reynolds steel, as it should).

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was Reynolds 531.

I don't blame Reynolds. I blame the custom frame builder, Jim Bradford,
who without telling me substituted track-gauge fork blades in place of
tandem gauge. The wall thickness was only 1/3 what it should have been.

--
- Frank Krygowski