Old January 10th 07, 07:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

Default Is the Alpine Classic the toughest single day road race/event in Australia?

Walrus Wrote:
Good point...the Warny did come to mind, but having done 250km rides
before...I didn't think it would be as hard as the Alpine (which I've
also ridden). There are the downhill parts of the Alpine, however
drafting doesn't really help that much - ie big packs aren't pulling
55kmh on flats.

The pace it's ridden at is a key factor obviously, so how about this.
*If either route (or any other Australian ride) was part of the
TdF...which would be harder?*now that's an idea for a novel overseas start for the TdeF....how about

make the 2009 TdeF start a hill climb prologue up Templestowe Hill
Climb, short but grievous, then First Stage the Warny Route then Stage
2 the Alpine Classic Route....a few beers and off to the Somme to roll
off stage 3... Didi Senft might even make the trip downunder !

--
rooman