Old June 16th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

Default Does the Daily Mail hates Cyclists?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:16:01 +0100, Daniel Barlow wrote:
"PK" writes:

Whether cyclist stopped or not, the first Para of the first report is
the most telling:

"A girl of five was left fighting for her life after she was mown down
by a speeding cyclist on the *pavement* outside her home."

You're right, but it's not telling me what I think you think it's
telling you. If they're not correct that the cyclist left the scene,
it's entirely probable that the cyclist wasn't speeding *or* sporting
lawnmower blades on the front of her bike either. What this tells me
mostly is that the Daily Mail uses other peoples misery to sell
newspapers (or to draw visitors to their web site, whatever)

Well we don't know what the Daily Wail means by speeding. We don't know
if it was a pavement with some magic white paint OR a pedestrian only
pavement. After all this is the same paper that has the line "Officials
believe that the area - near to the Taliban stronghold of Quetta in
Pakistan - was turning dried cannabis leaves into heroin." in one of its
stories.

Don't get me wrong, if the situation *was* as reported then the cylist
is scum of the lowest order, but I have a certain amount of
scepticism.

Indeed.

--
Andy Leighton =