Old May 28th 21, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
marika

Default One up, one down

On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 1:16:37 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
One up:

On Saturday, I unshipped my chain. I not only remembered that when
the chain falls completely outside the chainwheels, one must get off
the bike at once (fiddling with the levers while moving is apt to get
it so thoroughly jammed up that the crank has to be pulled), I
remembered to get a paper towel and my little box of A&D ointment out
*before* I got my hands dirty.

For frosting, I did get it back on by fiddling with the levers (and
kicking the pedals), so that only one fingertip got a small black
mark. I could have wiped my finger on my tights and been fine, but it
was much nicer to wipe it on a paper towel, then grease it up and get
*all* the black off.

One down:

I've completely lost the habit of thumb-testing my tires *during* a
ride, not just when I'm getting ready to leave. I don't think it's
ever been a habit, just a lot of "dang, that oughta be a habit".

Was the tire all right when I left Kroger on Monday afternoon? I
dunno. Emerging from a parking lot, looking in four directions when
crossing McKinley, immediately picking my way to Penguin Point through
another parking lot, there wasn't a lot of attention to spare.

More grump: I asked for four thighs. The clerk said they hadn't any
thighs, but if I waited fifteen minutes, they'd fry some. "What's
ready?" Breasts and wings. I ordered a breast and four wings -- and
waited about a quarter hour for them to put them into a box and give
them to me. And when I got them home, they weren't at all good.

i have never enjoyed chicken

I like things that are made with bechamel sauce. I just discovered that bechamel and “white sauce” are the same thing so I’ll look for that too. I remember seeing “brown sauce” in the store, perhaps there was white there too and I didn’t notice it.

mk5000

I have found that adding a some lemon juice and melting in a bit of shredded cheddar cheese (optional) makes this a decent substitute for hollandaise sauce when you put it on poached or over easy eggs. It's good for when you don't want sacrifice four egg yolks just to make a sauce that also goes on top of eggs.--sam coulter