Old September 26th 17, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On 9/26/2017 4:58 AM, somebody wrote:
On 25 Sep 2017 19:03:42 GMT, Robert Latest
wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or three of those
fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for additional minerals to taste. Just
read the ingredients on the original powder to find a long list of
benign non-reasons to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

I've done that for years on long and strenuous (for me) rides,
especially in the heat. I do think it helps.

But lately I've been plagued with cramps, either toward the end or hours
after such a ride. A few days ago, a nurse told me it sounded like a
potassium deficiency. I plan to try eating some high potassium foods for
a bit to see if it helps.

--
- Frank Krygowski