Old October 20th 18, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 9:13:20 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their
own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit.

You're probably correct. I know NOTHING about high end wrist watches.
I went to the Patek Philippe web pile, read a few pages, failed to see
any mention of innovation and that they design and build their own
movements, but did find that they hand-finished their movements. For
someone with no prior knowledge of the industry, that would be a fair
assessment. When you pointed out that they do design and make their
own movements, I went back to their web pile and searched for any
indication that they designed and made their own movements. Nothing,
unless I read between the lines and use my imagination well beyond
acceptable limits.

The sort of person who today might want a Patek Philippe watch usually already knows that they are at the peak of the pile for good reasons. As an example, my first Patek was the thinnest automatic wris****ch in the world, a triumph of design and construction.

Another way of putting it is that Patek Philippe had already been a watch for people of refinement for a hundred years when a Rolex was still a sturdy watch for farmers,

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.

You must have gone to engineering school, Jeff. How do you know when to plant if you don't have a calendar?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Andre Jute