Old October 20th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 04:11:13 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

The sort of person who today might want a Patek Philippe watch
usually already knows that they are at the peak of the pile for
good reasons. As an example, my first Patek was the thinnest
automatic wris****ch in the world, a triumph of design and
construction.

The design and construction are impressive, even if the intended use
for the watch has become marginalized. These daze, an electronic
watch from Apple and competitors acts as a remote extension to the
ubiquitous smartphone and can do many things in software that cannot
easily be accomplished by a mechanical equivalent.

Another way of putting it is that Patek Philippe had already been
a watch for people of refinement for a hundred years when a
Rolex was still a sturdy watch for farmers,

I have a Cyma and an Omega watch stored somewhere. They were both
purchased new in about 1965. Also a malfunctional Accutron. I'm not
sure how my possession of those would label and classify me. Probably
no better than a member of the GUM (great unwashed masses).

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.

You must have gone to engineering school, Jeff. How do you
know when to plant if you don't have a calendar?

Poor Richards or Farmers Almanac:
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/CA/Boulder%20Creek
Lack of gardening and agricultural knowledge are some of my many
faults. I lack whatever it takes to be a farmer or gardener. I also
don't make it habit of counting beans by the clock. I don't think
these deficiencies have anything to do with my attending engineering
skool.

Andre Jute
Precisely

Hardly.

Notice the 18 second difference between GPS and UTC times:
http://leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

Some not-so-smart-phones also can't seem to get it right:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/GPS-vs-UTC.jpg

If you're going to be precise, it helps to define which time reference
system your wrist watch is using:
https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/timescales.html
If you suspect that UTC is being constantly tweaked, you're correct.

Sometime after Jan 01, 2019, we will probably need to make some major
adjustments to accomodate the demise of leap seconds:
https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/USDoD20090629.txt
So far, nothing has happened, so you can relax for a while.

Full disclosu I'm an erratic reader and ocassional participant in
the Time-Nuts mailing list, which deals with such things:
http://leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm (info and links)
http://lists.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/ (archive)

--
Jeff Liebermann