Old November 2nd 18, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Nashbar P-Handle Wrenches -- and thank you Royal Mail

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:53:06 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/1/2018 7:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:11:17 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 3:07:51 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
My Shimano setup only hops one cog per click towards higher gears
(smaller cogs) which is ok. Only two per upshift and that's often not
enough. On my old road bike I can go from one extreme on the cassette to
the other in less than 2sec while simultaneously shifting the front.
Both with one hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

And where you have to remove one hand from the handlebar in order to make ANY shift. Most people who ride with an regularity can shift across an entire 11 speed cassette whether road or mtb in less than two seconds.

And we've been through this with Joerg before. If DT friction shifting were superior, then every pro would use them -- regardless of sponsor driven component choices.

Hmm. By the same logic, if fenders were superior to no fenders, then
every pro racer would use them; therefore nobody should use fenders.

Huh? You lost me.

That logic works only if your riding style and motivation is similar to
a pro racer. Mine is way, way different, so my equipment choices are way
different.

The deal is we don't have to agree on the superiority of one or the other. Joerg and everyone else should feel free to use whatever he or she wants.

As for pro use, Joerg was talking about his extreme riding that requires him to shift from small cog to large in a few seconds -- and yet you will not see any CX rider with DT friction shifters. Go watch CX worlds. It's all about sharp turns into steep climbs and NOBODY uses DT friction shifters. https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-bh_1.jpg https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-bh_1.jpg

If DT friction shifters were superior in circumstances requiring quick shifting into the big cog under load -- the bread and butter of CX racing -- they would be used. They're not. That doesn't mean that you or anyone else shouldn't use them. Go for it. I like my brifters.

With that said, I could care less about Di2, and I have it on one bike. I would switch back to a threaded BB in a minute. I do not entirely embrace the new age.

-- Jay Beattie.