Old November 2nd 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Nashbar P-Handle Wrenches -- and thank you Royal Mail

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 9:20:55 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/1/2018 10:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:

And we've been through this with Joerg before. If DT friction shifting were superior, then every pro would use them -- regardless of sponsor driven component choices.

Hmm. By the same logic, if fenders were superior to no fenders, then
every pro racer would use them; therefore nobody should use fenders.

Huh? You lost me.

I'll try again.

What's best for racers isn't necessary best for everyone. Riding
requirements vary, so equipment requirements and preferences vary.

I'm not questioning your preference or your ultimate conclusion. I'm
just questioning the logic that "if DT were superior the pros would use
them."

My point is that friction DT shifting is not the best device for shifting quickly under load to climb a hill. The fact that people who shift quickly under load for a living don't use DT friction shifting is at least some evidence in support of my point. This says nothing about personal preference -- or what might be the best choice for a particular rider. I was just rebutting Joerg's argument that because of his unique need to shift the whole cassette at once because of the gnarly climbs he does, then DT friction shifting is the thing to have.

You can drive out a chain pin with a nail and a rock, but who does that? What shop mechanic uses a pocket tool to work on a bike. But if you don't want to buy tools or are enamored of nails and rocks, then who am I to dictate tool (or component) fashion?

-- Jay Beattie.