On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 10:51:57 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 3:22:44 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 3:02:28 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 10:08:21 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 6:19:01 PM UTC, Sepp Ruf wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
So I did this CLE speaking gig for the state bar

Probably meaning "communist-liberal elite"eg

Nah, you need balls and a certain insensitivity to blood on the carpet to be a real commie. Lawyer-folk are at best pale pink fellow-travellers, what Lenin called "useful idiots".

Like Roy Cohn and Joe McCarthy?

You reckon McCarthy was a pinko-commie-fellow-traveller? That's a novel interpretation.

No, they were both lawyers as were George Wallace and Nixon. You were talking about lawyers being pinkos.

I know. I suppose I could have been more explicit in pointing out that you were avoiding my point about the majority of lawyers *todAY*

The majority of lawyers today fit into their state and/or city demographic and/or their practice demographic. I defend businesses and their insurers. Those in my practice area tend to be conservative, but that is skewed by the fact that we're in Portland. My part of the Portland bar is populated by fiscal conservatives who are socially progressive, some more so than others -- and some not at all. I have a partner who is a Trump supporter and about as conservative as you can get, although Trump is not a true conservative. I have another partner whose wife cried when Trump was elected. We're all over the map and unusually gender and race diverse for Portland -- but you know what, we all like each other and spend a lot of time together, including time after work (and thus my stories of riding up gnarly hills to get home after stopping for a drink).

Marco Rubio is a lawyer. Ted Cruz is a lawyer. You can see where I'm going with this.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home