Old November 9th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Preserving en-route repair material

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 07:34:03 +1100, James
wrote:

On 10/11/18 5:24 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 06:11:20 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:

I have had good luck with keeping the tire tube in a plastic zip-lock
bag. As for glue, once the tube is opened I just throw any remainder
away. My LBS sells tiny tubes of glue for pennies.

I did an experiment sealing a glue bottle inside various types of
plastic bags. None of them prevented the glue from hardening probably
because I allowed too much air inside the bottle and bag. If I do it
again, I'm going to try a CO2 purge and use aluminized mylar bags.
https://www.uline.com/BL_5552/Food-Bags

Reminds me of someone I knew who spent $5 worth of silicon to repair a
$2 plastic bucket.

I've done far worse. I recently spent about $60 ordering various
LED's (in 100 pcs quantities) to improve on a $5 relay indicator light
for which there was an immediate requirement for only 6 relays and a
future requirement for about 50 more.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/sci.electronics.design/2NCYlHgUQy0

So, why bother? Because, I think of all such design exercises in
terms of a sellable and hopefully profitable product. The initial
exercise might be rather expensive, but future variations on the basic
design might be better. Would you purchase an air tight aluminized
mylar bag for storing your rubber cement? Probably not. Would you
purchase the same thing for keeping your pills, snacks, first aid
supplies, and chemicals dry. Maybe. As it happens, such products
already exist, but not specifically for cycling.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D