Old December 22nd 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron Kinninmont

Default Rechargable Cells/batteries for Lights

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Supposedly, Lithium cells thrive in cold. I don't know about the

rechargeables.

If anyone knows anything further about rechargeable litium cells i'd be
greatly interested. Truth is i dismissed them because i could only find
1000mAh (limited search i grant you) but will these 1000mAh lithium cells
out perform 1000mAh cells of the other varieties in any respect?

And NiCd's generate their own heat in use, but of course you're dealing

with
greatly reduced capacity compared to NiMH. The heat is probably why there
is reduced capacity, in fact.

sorry, some confusion here i think. are you saying the heat is why NiMH
cells are reduced capacity, as this is what i'm using currently and the temp
is generally cold between 4 and -2 (yes, yes i know you canadians, americans
and russians get proper cold but this is cold for this sceptred isle lying
right in the path of gulf stream)

If the light unclips, carry a second one in your pocket and swap them, to
double the runtime. Maybe the second one will then heat back up, and you
can continue the process.

A fair idea but the commute isn't really long enough that the cells would
warm back up, it's only a 25min max commute, long enough for the negative
effect but not long enough to warm anything back up. Even if i start with a
spare in my pocket it's generally quite cold when i comes to changing it.

Ron Hardin

Cheers Ron.

Additions please folks.