Old December 4th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default News from down under on helmet laws, passing laws and fightingbetween so called advocacy groups.

On 04/12/13 11:21, sms wrote:
On 12/3/2013 3:51 PM, James wrote:
On 04/12/13 10:09, sms wrote:
On 12/3/2013 1:49 PM, James wrote:
http://helmetfreedom.org/1972/a-new-direction/

I wish that these organizations would realize that starting off with
"the big lie" does nothing for their position. In fact it weakens their
position.

I agree.

The big lie: "...in particular it reduces cyclist numbers..." has been
disproven so many times that they should be embarrassed to repeat it.

I disagree. Statistics show marked drop in mode share when MHLs were
introduced. Recent studies show the MHL is still a key issue to
dissuade people from riding.

No way. No statistics show this. Cycling rates continued to increase
even in places where MHLs were introduced. Whether or not the rates
would have increased more without an MHL is unknown. So many factors
contribute to cycling rates that it's not possible to isolate the cause
of an increase or decrease to one specific factor.

The obvious drop in participation immediately after the laws were
enacted says otherwise. I looked at census results before and after.

--
JS