Old September 15th 03, 04:22 PM
MLB

Default which tandem recumbent trike should i buy

(mike s) wrote in
om:

The other comments have really stated the obvious about consideration
of a trike to buy. My wife and I have tried several tadpole tandems
as well as singles. This year at the Recumbent Rally in Steven's
Point we tried the Hase, which is technically more of a train than a
trike as you have two independent delta trikes hitched together (rear
trike has front wheel removed). We knew we would not like it. So
much for what we know. We had a great time trying out this unit. I
was impressed with the delta configuration, something I thought was
just for frumps. It was sprightly, lively, quick, comfortable and fun
to ride. And the nice advantage is you can separate them, put the
front wheel on the rear trike, and now you have two single recumbent
trikes. Spoke to a couple there who loved theirs, had ridden it for
more than a year. Unfortunately, they (in tandem) cost as much as
your costlier trike tandems.

Good luck on the search.

Mike S.
ST. Louis, Mo

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket

I haven't done the tandem yet, but that is why I sold my TT 3.3 and
bought a Kett. The cost consideration (more like the low midrange price
than costlier at 5k, GS and Trice are still another 1k or more) changes
when you consider that when you have a dedicated tandem you've got to
have other bikes/trikes to ride the rest of the time! With the "kett
train" (i like that) you've got TWO separate trikes for all the rest of
the time! PLUS if the price of tandems BLOWS you away like it does me,
you can just buy two used ketts ( I paid 1800.00 for my less than 100
mile 2001) as you find them, and buy the "hitch" from Hostel Shoppe and
you're set for less than 4k.
There is also the storage issue. Tandem trikes are HUGE and take up a
lot of garage space (plus your necessary OTHER bikes), not to mention
transporting one to rides. Ketts stand up vertically on a rear rubber
bumber. You could store a tandem (separated and standing up) in a
68"x56" area!
It really is a very cool trike with lots of features that set it apart.
I wish Hase would get with it and put a triple ring on it and get some
marketing going in this country. It's every bit as sporty as the raved
about WizWheelz and is much easier to get on and off.