Old August 9th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Why isn't the tri-state more bicycle friendly? - Cin., Ohio

Apparently, it never occurred to you that there are many "Tri-State"
areas in the USA?

If he's writing for a local newspaper which just happens to be online,
perhaps he doesn't realize the article will be 'lifted' from its proper
place and taken out of context elsewhere.

As far as bike friendly cities are concerned...

I used to live in Minneapolis which has plenty of bike trails, but I
also rode on the street because most of the time they were wide and
there was plenty of room for cars and bikes. So one day I was riding
down Central Avenue, a pretty busy road, apparently, and we were
stopped at a stoplight. So some jerk behind me yells at me to get off
the road...I can't remember his exact phrasing, but I turned and yelled
back, "I have a right to the road also."

And he yelled back the same thing he'd said before...and each time I
told him I had a right to the road he just repeated himself also. I
thought about pointing out to him that he was pretty stupid but since
he was in a pickup truck and I was on a bike and he seemed kind of
unstable..I didn't want to provoke him any more than he already was.

Having said that, every time I was driving and passed a biker riding
the wrong way on the road, or unable to keep to a straight line, or
biking at night while wearing dark clothing, I could just shake my
head, as it's these types who give bicyclists a bad rep.

Now I'm vacationing in Germany for a month - the southeastern part near
Kaiserslautern, and it is *great* for biking. The rules are very strict
- drivers have to give bikers a 3 meter clearance when passing, and
can't pass until it's safe to do so...and they don't mind doing
it...there are plenty of car free days so that bikers can get out and
use a section of the autobahn en masse, etc.

Caroline
The Thunder Child Science Fiction webzine
http://thethunderchild.com