Old July 3rd 03, 05:14 AM
Westie

Default I've bent my forks, haven't I? --<>--

"Westie" wrote in message

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
"Westie" wrote:

Just a quick question to put me out of my misery; I've been looking at

my
Manitou Skareb Comp forks today. The wheel should be centred in the

fork,
shouldn't it? I'm looking at mine and the tyre and rim are not centred

and
it gets worse when I put my weight on it. Looking at it from a riding
position, the top of the wheel moves to the left when I put my weight

on
it
and the knobbies on the tyre are almost rubbing the (Manitou reverse)

arch.
There's only a 1/4" clearance on that side versus the 3/4" on the

righthand
side. And none when I hit any half decent bump - the tyre rubs against

the
arch. The quick release is mounted and tightened correctly.
And while the wheel isn't 100% true (it's got maybe a couple of mm

wobble),
it does appear to be dished OK. The disc rotor is not rubbing on the

Phew! I feel a lot better today. Good thing that I didn't keep riding it...
Sent bike off to not-so Local Bike Shop. They've examined things. And
they've found a beautiful crack in the arch, hidden under a ziptie near the
seals. The mechanic reckons that I must have done the tie up too tight ;-)
It's a warranty job apparently. We're all happy.
--
Westie