Old July 7th 17, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Handlebar rotation

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 20:00:02 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/6/17 12:14 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I have never been hit from behind either but the number of close calls
has noticeably decreased since I have bright rear lights. Mission
accomplished. The best is, this was never very expensive to accomplish.

Now you can stick the head in the sand again and pretend it ain't so :-)

Just because something didn't happen to you even though you decided not
to take advantage of available safety measures, doesn't mean much.

Of course it would be equally ludicrous to claim that if you were hit,
and didn't have that safety measure, that you would necessarily have
been okay had you had the safety measure.

What most of us have found is that using adequate lighting causes a
change in behavior of motor vehicles because the cyclists is much more
visible. You have fewer close calls. You have fewer vehicles turning
left in front of you as you approach a traffic light, and fewer vehicles
exiting parking lots or driveways in your path because they can see you.

At some point it's necessary to use common sense.

Well, to be honest I have ridden in Bangkok traffic for quite a number
of years now, both with and without blinkie lights and, honestly, I
have noticed absolutely no difference at all between with blinkie and
without blinkie.

I can only assume that bicycling in California is somehow different
from the rest of the world.
--
Cheers,

John B.