Old November 30th 04, 06:37 PM
Ravi

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26). It was pretty good.
The route i took is based on the 110 Mile route map from
http://www.lasvegascentury.org/maps.php

regd, the route to hoover dam:
Get on Hwy 93 (East) from Las Vegas - continue on towards Boulder City -
go thru Boulder City and after crossing the entrance to the Lake Mead
Rec. Area (on the left), continue straight on Hwy 93 towards hoover dam.
The route is a little hilly, but not too bad, few climbs and more
descents to get to the dam. The shoulders is pretty decent - sometimes
it is narrow, in that case take the lane..

note: when i was on Hwy 93 at around 2pm on the long weekend, there was
a backup of traffic extending from almost 4 miles before the dam... so
do expect some slow traffic before the dam. And i did not go beyond the
dam... so not sure how it is beyond that point - but there sure is some
sustained climbs. return route is also about teh same - but more climbs
and few descents. On the return, I took right turn into the Lake Mead
Rec. Area.

PS: i shall try and do a small write up of my entire ride and post it
here - i have gotten some pics as well.

thanks,
+ravi

Ravi wrote:
Hi guys,
i would be in Las Vegas during this weekend and plan to do some road
rides there - i need some routes - i did visit
http://www.lasvegascentury.org/maps.php and got some good routes to Red
Canyon and Lake Mead.

I am looking at riding to Hoover Dam and back and I see Hwy 93 goes all
the way till hoover dam. Is it safe to ride on Hwy 93 ? any alternatives
are most welcome - i can survive some degree of climbs if any.

thanks,
+ravi