Old July 23rd 03, 09:27 PM
Karen M.

Default Group ride questions

Tom asks:
1. What's a recovery ride with tempo pace?

Something easy-going, unlike the training ride that necessitates
the recovery. (Can't help on "tempo pace.)

2. Some rides are listed as "A", "B", or "C" road. What does this
mean?

MPH classification. A is domestique-bringing-the-drinks pace
(17-20). B is we're almost to the restaurant pace (15-18). C is riding
to work when you don't want to go (10-12--15). Your pace may vary.

3. What's a pick-up ride?

One that's unscheduled or unorganized. Oh, wait, we're talking
about a bike club; of course it's unorganized. No cue sheet, no sag,
sometimes it means whoever shows up decides on the pace and
route/destination.

4. When riding alone, I average 16-17 mph. What pace should I be able
to maintain in a group?

Depends on the group. Locally we have a "club" of wannabees who
typically ignore traffic signals and ride in a fairly tight pack. They
go about 18-25, depending. And there's another club that ignores
traffic signals (hey, is there a pattern here??) that gets strung out
and might top at 18.
If you're drafting or riding with folks who are nice enough to keep
the group together, you should be OK doing 18-20 most of the time.

--Karen M.
no club