Old December 19th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Riding Rigid, Riding One Gear

"MattB" wrote in message
GeeDubb wrote:
While in Palm Springs riding with probably the best group of riders I've
ridden with I managed to do 6 miles or more downhill with my rear shock
locked out. Needless to say I screwed it up and shipped it off to be
repaired. This left me w/o my dear boingy bike for a few weeks so.......

Since PS I've been busy working and didn't have time to ride (nearly two
weeks). I finished the job and decided it was time to dust off (lots of
saw dust) the rigid ss. Now every time I've been out on this thing I've
flatted on the rear which is a pain to fix. This time I use mucho air,
close to 60 psi in these not so fat Kendas, to avoid the inevitable pinch
flat that has plagued my inadequate riding skill. Riding the ss has not
been a fun adventure until this ride.

Might I suggest bigger tires and a little lower pressure? I also put a
shock on my SS and I like it. I know it's not as pure, but it's fun and
that's what matter the most to me.

In time but if I can learn to ride better with this setup I might be able to
keep the Palm Springs guys in sight next year.....assuming I'm invited
again.

The first mile of the ride was on blacktop to the trailhead. I'm
thinking this is great, full transfer of power to the bike, smooth....say
what? Yeah, on the blacktop the rigid is smooth as silk but........

I hit the trail and began an experience of jarring, bouncing, teeth
rattling, butt busting, hand numbing pleasure that I hadn't experience on
my previous rides. I thought I was going to take it easy but after
meeting up with my buddy John (riding a ht) we took off and never
stopped (until hitting the coffee shop). I made all but the steepest of
climbs and downhilled some stuff as fast as I could have done with my
double boinger or at least it seemed that fast. Who knows with my head
and body vibrating this much it sure seemed as fast.

There were sections I was doing the hamster dance trying to keep up with
John and did so to at least keep him in sight. No spin class could have
prepared me for that! It would have been fun to know what pedal rpm I
was actually managing!

After coffee we hit the canal for the smooth ride back to the trail.
This is a short section of trail with a steady climb up through a mtn
saddle and then slowly back to the start area. It's nice to push this
climb and I did leaving John gasping (well, he is 62 for craps sake) at
the top but staying within 20 yards or so.

The rest of the ride was uneventful.....no flats.

Tonight I ride the rss again, canal only, with one of my other riding
buds that just got a new 24" wheeled beach cruiser.

should be fun.

Gary

Cool. Spin (and grind) on!

Matt

How's the skiing/snow? My friends that run the dogsleds in T-ride say
there's barely enough snow to run their sleds.

Gary