Old April 19th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:11:26 +0100,
Simon Mason wrote:

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

The BMA also says it is bad for our health to consume more than two pints
of
beer a day, which is tosh as well.

I am sure you are probably right - however I have not seen that - can
you give a reference please?

Sure
http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/Iop/PRT/sensible.htm
The sensible drinking message set out in the Lord President's Report on
Alcohol Misuse in 1991 was adopted by the Health of the Nation in 1992.

The initial figure was plucked out of the air in 1987 due to "a feeling
that you had to say something" according to Richard Smith a member of
Royal College of Physicians who was on the committee that came up with
the number. Googling alcohol "plucked out of the air" gets lots of
newspaper columns on this.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_