Old March 10th 17, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

On 2017-03-07 16:27, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 08:21:06 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-03-06 17:00, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

... isn't this like a poor-man's torque wrench and much more complicated
at that?

No, it is very practical. I try to be a minimalist with many things. Why
buy and store a torque wrench when it is not truly needed? Then there is
the ratchet mechanism. When it gets old how do you know it is still
accurate? The suitcase scale I can easily check.

I might comment that at one time I worked in the Edwards AFB (USAF
Test Center) shops where we had a "Torque Wrench Shop" where the guy
tested and recalibrating torque wrenches. I once asked him how many of
the torque wrenches turned in for calibration actually needed
adjustment. He said "all of them, even the new ones".

Exactly what I meant. I never really trusted those things which is why I
never bought one.

The calibration bench was simply a shaft with an arm to which weights
were added :-)

Bingo! Got to keep life simple.

Some folks seem to need a special tool for just about everything. Others
try to get by with a minimum and it all works fine.

A classic example was when the big stereo died at a party in the 80's.
So I opened it and found that a wire at the power switch had come off.
"Do you guys have a soldering iron?" ... "A what? No, we are all
mechanical engineer students. We've got mechanical tools, a welder, and
beer, lots of beer" ... "Ok then, do you have a 5mm or 6mm Allen wrench
and a pair of pliers?" ... "YES! Of course! What a question" ... "Well,
with that and the range in your kitchen we now can solder" ... "Huh?"

Five minutes later the stereo worked again an I was the hero for 15
minutes or so. Being inebriated by that time I forgot (!) to unplug the
stereo before the repair and this was in 230V country. Whew.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/