Old March 31st 04, 07:58 PM
Top Sirloin

Default General Question: How difficult to take a modern commuter/touringbicycle and make it Single Speed?

Lobo Tommy wrote:

So it got me thinking - how difficult would it be to take a Trek 520
or Breezer or any other touring bike and make it a single speed?
This to me would be the best of both worlds. I have ton a ton of
research but am still a newb. I've looked at custom bicycle solutions
but their seems to be a 3:1 ratio of single speed mountain bikes to
street bikes - and nothing for touring. And that's what I need for
plus a slightly meatier tire.

The typical 70's-80's horizontal dropout road
frame that gets built into a singlespeed/fixie has
plenty of tire clearence. If everything is
optimal you can build one _cheap_, like $60 in
parts cheap (including the bike). If you end up
having to rebuild the rear wheel, buy a different
seatpost, replace the tires, etc. you can end up
around $150 or more.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com