Old June 16th 11, 09:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Default 2 punctures in one ride

On 16/06/2011 3:41 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 16/06/2011 12:04 PM, Rob wrote:
On 16/06/2011 2:31 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 15/06/2011 9:50 PM, Rob wrote:
On 15/06/2011 4:46 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:

I think I'll rip off the tyres from me other bike .... should have
done
that in the first place... hhmmmm...

Solid tyres should fix that problem!

Hm, now that you mentioned them, I had a google and, of cos, they are
available. I have always known of solid tyres on forklifts and those
solid forklift tyres weigh more than a few grams

Better than pushing your bike home!

Heheheh!! Given the frigging weight of some solid forklift tyres, I'll
push me bike home, thanks

Might have a read of what others say elsewhere about solids. Anybody in
this newsgroup who has used solids and cares to impart some life
experiences?

At one stage the water board had rubber rings about 1"dia to seal the
watermain pipes, off hand the 20" (or the like) did fit tightly when
stretched on the rim - it doesn't take much increase in circumference to
expand to 700 or 27" rims.

Hm, but those rings will probably be quite dense and hard right thru and
will probably produce that "harsh" ride mentioned by Sheldon Brown's
article in the link posted by John Henderson above.

No they are soft (about like the tread on my MTB tyres) as they have to
flex and seal pipe joints.

Then again you could always fill the tube with silicon but solid
silicon, after a lot of flexing turns to liquid again.

But if one was stuck out in the bush with a flat tyre with no spares and
miles from nowhere, I guess one WOULD wish for a solid tyre - harsh ride
or no harsh ride