Old November 26th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default FLU

On 2017-11-25 12:51, wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 1:48:06 PM UTC-7,

wrote:
the foil joke may prevent you from arranging with/into
your
environment

try this ... if foil was a component then why not .... ?

J this is an older German architectural/psych concept:
terracotta
buildings are healthier than steel reinforced concrete
...a much
larger off the ground scale

I cannot locate current info on the net

Steel re-enforced in most cases means some big residential
highrise in a congested area. No wonder that those people
are or feel less healthy. I have never understood the desire
of city folk to cram together like sardines in a can.

Try an intro Anthropology book some time.
Before The Inter Webs, close proximity promoted exchange
of ideas and
specialization of effort. Still does to some extent.

It does, though specialization is not always a good thing.
It results, for example, in people who can't even fix a
flat. Their tool of fixing just about anything is the yellow
pages.

As for health, dense living results in lot of civilization
diseases, higher stress levels and nowadays lung diseases
because of pollution. Probably also more cancer. Just about
every time I reach the top of the last hill to ride into the
Sacramento Valley I see that brownish smog line and I am
thankful not to have to live down there. Other times I can
literally smell it.

This is a false dichotomy in that all of it can be true and likely is.
Choice is good, neither city nor rural life being perfect and humans
being by their nature a diverse lot.

Though as humans we need to recognize when we are damaging our bodies
and the denser the area the more that will happen. This is also why I'll
never understand people who say "Away with cycle paths, bicycles belong
on the road". I find that, sorry to say, stupid. Why would anyone in
their right mind want to travel alongside noisy and polluting combustion
engines buzzing by? All one has to do is look at the rear bumper area of
passing cars and we'll notice that nearly all have a common design flaw.
The exhaust is on the curb side, right into our faces. No thanks, I
won't live in an area like that and prefer where I rode a couple of days
ago, a nice long pristine singletrack, all afternoon.

As regards specialization, one would prefer a world in which some high
school dropout like me kept Enrico Fermi's bike in good shape leaving
him more time for other thoughts and activities.

Unless you start an airline and a spacecraft company like the other
drop-out, Richard Branson :-)

Nothing against specialization, I did that myself by concentrating on a
section of electronic circuit design. However, we all should maintain a
modicum of broader skills to help ourselves when something goes wrong
instead of standing there next to our pretzeled front wheel with a blank
"Oh s..t!" expression on our faces. It also helps us from being snowed
in terms of "Oh, you'll need a complete new furnace, this one's
thoroughly shot and we can't get parts for it anymore anyhow".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/