Old July 22nd 19, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Making bike less likey to be vandalized

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:48:05 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

If someone is stealing stuff off your bike, you can make it hard to remove things
from your bike. Alternately, you can have stuff (lights, bags, cyclometers) that
are easy to remove, and remember without fail to remove them yourself every time
there's a risk.

I've tried both those methods while trying to do service calls on my
bicycle. Despite removing everything possible from the bicycle every
time I park it to a bike rack, something gets stolen. The local
bicycle component thieves apparently carry all the necessary tools. I
had a surplus of hard disk drive magnets and decided to use those to
mount my lights, water bottles, and smartphone. The idea was to make
components easier to remove and replace. Strong magnets work, but
have their problems. If I get ambitious, I might try attaching my
saddle to the seat post with magnets. Incidentally, the ability to
use magnets to attach things to the frame might eventually become a
benefit of steel frames over aluminum.

All my headlights are bolted onto their respective bike, and they're all
generator powered. Those features combine to make them unappealing to thieves.
If I lived where theft was a problem, I might consider filling in the screw's
socket heads with epoxy, or otherwise using security screws.

The screws and matching tools can cost more than the components they
protect:
https://hexlox.com
https://www.bicyclebolts.com
https://www.brycefastener.com
https://pinheadlocks.com

The other possibility might be to buy a folding bike and take it with you.
It's tricky shopping for a folding bike, as there are lots of combinations of
ride quality, folding ability, weight and cost. But if your needs are modest,
you might be satisfied with a $400 Dahon. 32 pounds isn't light, but it's
luggable. https://usa.dahon.com/bikes-category/bikes/
(I don't own a Dahon and have no relationship with the company. I do have a
friend who owns one and likes it fine.)

I've tried similar folding bicycles and didn't like them. Nothing
wrong with the design or construction. I'm just addicted to a full
size frame. I keep looking at full size folders and kits to adapt
existing frames.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/crosstown/ (28 lbs or 18 kg)
https://www.montaguebikes.com
http://fubifixie.com
http://www.sandsmachine.com
The idea is simple enough. A full size bicycle is awkward in
elevators, stair wells, public transport, etc. Folding the bicycle in
half does not eliminate this awkwardness, but does make the bicycle
somewhat easier to carry and store. I'm tempted, but unless I can
find something used and cheap, I can't justify the expense.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D