Old January 12th 05, 12:41 PM
Jet

Default Armstrong's contract

From ProCycling news:
"Armstrong admitted that according to the terms of his contract with his
new employers he will be riding the Tour at least one more time, but he
maintained his prior position of not allowing himself to be drawn on
whether that one time will be 2005 or 2006. Once again, Armstrong stated
that he would ride a number of the spring Classics before deciding whether
to try for a seventh consecutive Tour win."

http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx

Old news, as of yesterday...but I think the first time he mentions this
term of the contract.

He'll be riding in the '05 Tour, imo. To rest for a year, even if he did
Flanders, may not help his conditioning and his determination - that sharp
edge is so fragile.

If he only makes the podium, then he'd come back with a vengeance next
year. He wants to go out in grand style, as a winner - smart - and not just
fade away.

Why he's being cagey, except to take the pressure off, and/or to disorient
his rivals (who?)...is a matter for speculation. I don't see the few that
could challenge him as having a team that can support this. IOW, there are
strong teams without a stellar rider and stellar riders (Kloden, Basso)
with less strong teams, istm. If we put the strongest team behind Basso, it
might be doable, but again, Basso is not so good in the ITT yet.

jj