Old March 22nd 05, 04:47 PM
Tom Orr

Arthur Clune wrote:

snipped

The first time is reasonable, if fast, however 783W for 3 mins is too
high to be real I'd say.

Arthur

I think it is 705 watts. The high estimate may be a result of my Javascript
formula which gives the power output as:

9.81*w*10*(1191/t)/100

where 9.81 is gravity,
w is weight of bike and rider in kilograms,
t is time taken in seconds,
10/100 is the gradient and
1191 is the distance in metres.

I have not factored in wind resistance (or assistance) or friction and I
have distance=displacement which I think may well be wrong. But it is only a
rough estimate of power output. If everyone uses the same formula then at
least it is a comparative measure. It does show that a slow heavy person has
to generate a lot more power than a small fast one. I think the 3m 6s time
is the most remarkable.

I am hoping for some good times in the next week or so.

Tom.