Old February 9th 18, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dickens:"The law is a ass."

On 2/8/2018 6:13 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

How are most cyclists injured or killed in accidents? They are struck from behind by an
overtaking motor vehicle.

Sorry, that's not true. See
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/PED_BIKE...f/swless04.pdf

"10. The bicycle-motor vehicle crashes were divided
into the three main categories as such:
Parallel-path events 36 percent
Crossing-path events 57 percent
Specific circumstances 7 percent

11. The most frequent parallel-path crashes were
motorist turn/merge into bicyclist’s path (12.2
percent), motorist overtaking the bicyclist (8.6
percent), and bicyclist turn/merge into motorist’s
path (7.3 percent). The most frequent crossing
path crashes were motorist failed to yield to
bicyclist (21.7 percent), bicyclist failed to yield at
an intersection (16.8 percent), and bicyclist failed
to yield midblock (11.8 percent). These six
individual crash types accounted for almost 80
percent of all bicycle-motor vehicle crashes."

So motorist overtaking were just 8.6 percent of the total. And I'd bet
that a majority of those were of two types: Totally Unlit cyclists at
night, which legal lighting would prevent; and "I think I can squeeze
by" events, which would have been averted by lane control by the cyclist.

Recently, the now-useless League of American Bicyclist pulled a
publicity stunt to try to promote segregated paths. They had interns
scan news reports of bike crashes to see how the reporters described the
crash details. From those, they tried to glean the percentage of
hit-from-behind crashes, and came up with a wild overestimate. Needless
to say, their methodology was terrible.

But that's consistent behavior from an organization that has shifted
from "cyclists' rights to the road" to "let's build cycle tracks
everywhere."

--
- Frank Krygowski