Old March 21st 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:59:43 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 10:48:31 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:58:10 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

Sure. Buy a set of bottle cages made from steel or aluminum rod and
just bend them to fit.

I built a rack to hold two large bottles behind the seat and that is
what I did. It's been working for a number of years now with no
problems.

Or any of the modern cages that squeeze the bottle, e.g. https://tinyurl.com/y9ykn6tv This design has a more positive hold than the rod cages. Of course, Joerg will need the uber gnarly "Gorilla Cage" with 14 lb grip. https://www.all3sports.com/products/...SABEgII-_D_BwE

-- Jay Beattie.

My favorite is a King Cage Ti rod waterbottle cage. Never had problems with any waterbottle. Last for life and doesn't stain your waterbottles.

Lou