Old March 21st 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:

[...]

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap,
at Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the
bottle in and out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style.
However, that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily
without pushing the bungee down.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Your waterbottle holder can't handle a diameter difference of 1.8 mm?
Get a better one.

It can but it cannot when they also messed up the indentation location
by more than 1/4". Which they did. Same for all other holders I tried
and there were some high-priced ones.

Perhaps you need an adjustable bottle cage, one that changes shape to
accommodate different diameters and different lengths of bottles with
different indentation locations. And it should happen automatically!
After all, cars have power seats that adjust to different butts. And we
know your bike already has a proper electrical system.

Both of them do so I could even mount a "his and hers" buttons :-)

Now about that butt adjustment, that would be very cool. On rides longer
than 4-5h it's not fatigue or breath or whatever that irks me. My behind
begins to hurt. And yes, also on the rather expensive WTB seat.

Why is bicycle technology always so far behind car technology?

I don't know but it usually is, by decades. Except when it comes to
suspensions where I think only Citroen and maybe Lincoln can rival what
good MTB have.