Old April 3rd 18, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Tires

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 14:08:43 +1000, James
wrote:

On 01/04/18 10:43, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

I don't understand why you get more snake bite flats on the front tyre,
unless you run substantially less pressure there, or somehow lift your
arse before the back wheel hits.

I use a 23mm front and a 25mm rear, but the rear measures 27mm. It
certainly helps to smooth out rougher roads, of which we have in
abundance.

I'm not sure why I have more flats on the front then the rear but I
do. Both pinch flats and penetration. Memory is always fallible but I
can only remember having one flat on the rear tire and that was caused
by a tiny flake of either glass or quartz that penetrated the
Continental Gatorskin tire and tube.

I generally run the same pressure in both tires, currently 70 PSI with
25mm tires (I only weigh about 60 kg. ) which is about right for the
rear and slightly high for the front.

Some time ago I measured the weight on the front and rear wheels with
rider aboard and, if I remember correctly, the total weight was
supported 45% on the front wheel and 55% on the rear so a larger tire
on the rear is logical although I'm currently running the same size on
both wheels.
--
Cheers,

John B.