Old April 12th 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-04-10 21:08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 11:26:54 AM UTC-4, Jeff
Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 21:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday
I discovered my rear tire was flat. Didn't have a spare
tube and needed to leave within minutes. Pulled off the
clincher tire and tube and put on a spare tubular tire I
had hanging around. Worked perfectly and allowed me to
make the appointment on time. Weird combination = tubular
tire on a clincher rim but it worked well enough to get
me to and from the appointment. Cheers

Ummm... perhaps you should carry some duct tape. There are
some articles and a few videos on how it's done.
https://www.google.com/search?q=duct+tape+bicycle+tire+patch

I've only used it once, on someone elses tire, because the rubber
cement had dried out in three out of three patch kits
available. It apparently worked as there were no
threatening messages on my answering machine when I
returned home. The only real tricks that I recall are to
make sure the tube doesn't have any crud or baby powder on
the surface, and to NOT wrap the tape all the way around
the tube so that the tube can expand when pressurized.

I don't think it would have worked with narrow high
pressure tires. The one I patched was only pressurized to
about 50(?) lbs. I don't think the duct tape patch would
have held at 100 lbs.

On one long tour, our Continental Top Touring tires
developed worrying bubbles in the sidewalls.

Is that a Conti problem? I had similar issue with Gatorskins.
Two failed prematurely when their sidewalls started to give
up.

During the year of that tour (2003) I think it was a pretty
common problem with Continental tires. I don't know if it still
is.

IIRC, I did later find that I'd been overinflating the tires.

I had mine at the usual 90-95% of rated tire pressure. The CST
tires never blew but their thread was gone after a mere 1000mi and
the sidewalls had lots of fine cracks which was concerning. Next up
is Vittoria Zafiro (got one of them on there right now) and after
that Vee Rubber. I don't think any of them will ever achieve the
2500mi per tire that Gatorskins delivered but not blowing sidewalls
is more important. Plus they are not such a bear to get onto the
rim.

Have fun with the Zafiros -- they're flat prone, and they wear
quickly. The good part is that they're relatively light, and they
have a nice tread pattern like a Pasela, so they get better traction
than a pure slick on wet leaves and grass. The bad part is that the
compound has less wet grip than a Pasela. Gatorskins are better
tires all around, notwithstanding your personal experience with
sidewall damage. The only downside to Gatorskins, IMO, is price and
the fact that they are almost a pure slick -- but by this time of
year, most of the leaves are off the ground, and I can get by with a
pure slick.

I am not holding with breath regarding the Zafiro tires, it's just a
test. My real hope is with the Vee Rubber tires that should arrive soon.
Hoping they have the same rubber as their TrailTaker style MTB tires.
Those last up to 800mi which is really good for the terrain out here.

I had problems getting a Gatorskin onto a CR18 rim -- which is like
your old rims and has a shallow rim well, but never a problem on any
other rim. I would think your old rims would be toast now with all
the miles and hard braking in Gnarlyville. You should spring for some
new rims with deeper rim wells that will accommodate modern tires.

The rims are still hanging on. I mostly let'er rip on downhill stretches
as long as the speed won't go above 45mph. Down in the valley I am on
bike paths most of the time where there is little need for braking. On
Monday I rode this bike path down to the Cosumnes River:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3gnLIUum0

When the rims are up I'll be looking for a whole new wheel set and that
would also mean bending up the rear from 126mm to 130mm which seems to
be the standard these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/