Old April 14th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Torpedo Duomatic "sudden brake", then heavy to get loose

On 4/13/2018 4:32 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Bearing is set too loose and/or locknut(s)
are not tight.

So the problem is the break-arm piece cannot
reach the brake shell?

OK, great, will try that, thanks.

Adjust bearing to a slight trace of play at
the rim. This is usually done with axle in
vise, holding upper end of axle in one hand
and rim in the other.

Hm, I've done this a couple of times by now (in
a vice) but I don't remember any trick or
method. It is done just like the cone and nut
on a front wheel, right? (Or the bottom bracket
I suppose.) Back and forth a few times until
just right? What end of the axle do I put into
the vice, the one that doesn't have the
brake arm?

Duomatic only adjusts on the left side so left side up.

I shouldn't have to say this but use an axle vise or clamp
on an axle nut, not directly on the axle itself.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/