Old January 31st 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter[_2_]

Default DuraAce 7800 brakes v. 6600 brakes

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:51:17 -0800, RS wrote:

I traded some stuff for a new set of DuraAce 7800 brakes, got a good
deal. Question is will these really work any better, stop any quicker,
"feel" any better than the current set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I have on
my bike - which I think work fine. I'd like to hear from anyone who has
actually tested or ridden both sets. The 15g-20g difference in weight I
don't care about. Thanks

Not ridden them, so ignore the following:

Brake feel has to do with cable routing, brake block quality, and caliper
setup far more than it does the brake caliper--as long as the caliper is
of reasonable quality.*

Your DAs may or not "feel" better than the Ultegras depending on your
setup. Route your cables wisely, lube your lever and caliper pivots, and
toe in your shoes properly. If you want to further improve braking,
replace the inserts with Kool-Stops.**

*That said, I've set up old steel Raleigh 3spd brakes with all the other
kit modern--and had it feel nicer than modern brakes set up by a goon. So
the caliper isn't even that important, either.

**FWIW--I run Kool-Stops only on the fronts of my bikes, as that's where
I want the power, use less tenacious pads in rear if ya want.