Old June 1st 11, 08:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Bursting tyres with heavy loading

On 1/06/2011 7:58 PM, Travis wrote:
I've been riding to uni on a clunker of an old mountain bike, using
that instead of my Trek roadie because I could mount a rack to it and
carry panniers.

Clunkers are good for building strength

100psi is the "Max PSI" according to Torpedo7. Should I inflate it
less than that? How much less?

I have a little el cheapo hand held plastic pressure gauge (Michelin
branded if you must know) which I use to verify that the pressures put
out by the foot pump I use is thereabouts to what it should be. It's a
bit finicky to have to work out two sets of readings using two different
measuring devices (the gauge on the foot pump and the gauge on my el
cheapo hand held gauge) AND then deciding which measurement is in fact
correct but after 2 or 3 exploding tyres in, like, 1 hour, I am grateful
for another opinion

Heheheheh, one of them tyres exploded when I bounced it to test its
integrity after inflation I think it was inflated to about 100 psi
when the tyre was rated at 65psi but 65psi was what the gauge on the
foot pump said This was what prompted me to get the hand held gauge
becos I realised I could not verify the reading on the gauge on the foot
pump. Probably problems with understanding Hooke's Law on the gauge in
the foot pump

The ACTUAL pressures you would use is something else. I, myself, have
softer pressures on the front and max pressure on the rear. I find it
more comfortable on my upper body to have a soft wheel on the front - so
I have 70psi on the front and 120 psi on the rear. Someone here posted a
link to some crazy guy (at least I think he is nuts but he sure wrote an
excellent paper on it) who did a study on tyre pressure. I'll try to dig
up the link and repost it if "somebody else" doesn't do it before me
I hope "somebody else" does it before me

On a last note, I suspect that ALL inner tubes show some micro leaks
during a bubble test but I have no real proof as yet becos my sample
size is small due to my personal experience. For me, a bubble test is
good only for indicating BIG leaks and I pretend that micro leaks are
merely a figment of my imagination.