Old April 15th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Inside a Chainglider after 3500km with zero chain maintenance

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 2:42:26 PM UTC-4, Phil W Lee wrote:
"T0m $herman" considered Tue, 14
Apr 2015 23:22:56 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 4/14/2015 2:12 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
With a single chain using entirely off-the shelf parts, it would be
hard to beat an SRAM Dual Drive 3x9 with triple front chainrings (81
gears, although clearly many duplicates).

I had a bike with 52/42/30 chainrings and a 7-speed 11-28 cassette on a
3x7 hub - about 20 distinct ratios out of the 63 combinations. Not
worth it for filling in gaps, but the the unique extra six ratios (3
each top and bottom of the range) were well worth it, since it was a
heavy but aerodynamic faired 'bent. On an upright where the wide range
is not needed, I would not bother.

Well, I have a dualdrive 3x9 lying around, which I may get around to
building into a rear wheel for my Bacchetta if I can find a suitable
36 hole 559 rim.
The additional gear range just might make it possible for me to ride
again, if I can stay upright at a low enough speed.

Add an outrigger wheel to the rear? I've done that on my winter bike.

Cheers