Old October 21st 17, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Build it and they won't come

On 10/20/2017 10:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/20/2017 9:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

If I may, the correct answer is, "The whole nine yards."

And why?

It's a priori silly to ask, especially if it's the life of your
dependent or your own in the balance.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...r-dead-8896358

You surely would not suggest that her rate of fire was excessive, would
you?

Looks to me like she fired about six shots in that minute. No, I don't
think that's excessive. If she shot ten in that minute, it's still
within what I proposed. And as I said, we should be able to have a
reasonable discussion of what's really necessary.

(Well, in a world free of the NRA, that is.)

What if she had only a five shot revolver?

What if? The thugs would still have run. I think it would have made no
difference.

Now, what if the thugs had far less access to handguns? What if their
purchase were as tightly controlled as in Canada? What if they had to
pay three times as much to even buy one on the black market? We probably
would have no exciting video. Hell, there probably _are_ no Canadian
videos like that.

What if she had some
slower regulated fire rate? Remember it's three-on-one at four in the
morning and 911 is just twenty minutes away.

Sorry, Andrew, I don't see that a slower firing rate would have made any
difference at all. Her two fastest shots came when the thugs were
already running away.

And against that one video, you really should put up the videos of all
the incidents that went the other way. Unfortunately, we don't have
videos of all the family members killing other family members, or the
thugs settling with bullets what they used to settle with fists. We
don't have videos of the local baby killed by a bullet fired through the
walls of a house, or the several local cases where shots through houses
missed the occupants.

And because that's all there are in a can of .50, 9 yards = roughly 350
rounds if I recall. Yes it's a ridiculous answer but it's a ridiculous
question.

The question was about the minimum number of rounds a private citizen
actually needs to be able to shoot within one minute. So yes, 350 rounds
_is_ a ridiculous answer.

--
- Frank Krygowski